November 14, 2011

Dia 2011

This past weekend was community free day at DIA:Beacon. j has been talking about going again and even though I wanted to go to Occupy Poughkeepsie I figured I should take advantage of him wanting to go to a museum. We had a really great time. It's taken me long time to come around to contemporary, conceptual art. I have a deep appreciation for it now and wanted to share some of what I've come to love with j. He was off and exploring pretty quickly.Each Dan Flavin piece became either a rocket ship or a gun. We had a long discussion about color with Imi Knoebel's work. The museum has couches all over the place because you need to sit down every now and then. We stopped and sat on a comfy couch in front of a piece by Lawerence Weiner. I had never had the patience to figure it out before but now,resting, we started a conversation about it and finally I was able to get it.  Seeing it through the lens of a 5 year old was really something worth experiencing.One of my favorite pieces is by Gerhard Richter. It's huge panels of smoky mirrored glass hung on the walls at slightly off angles. I've sat on the couches there before delighted by all the reflections in them. We started to talk about it and after seeing out reflection in the glass, j said " it's like we are the art". I will never go to a museum without him again!
And of course, the Richard Serra pieces. j ran through each of them, exhausted and elated at the same time. 




 



 You're not really supposed to take photos at the museum but I can't resist. Here's j keeping an eye out for the guards.



I feel like, slowly, the well is getting restocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment