September 27, 2012

shorter days

Fall is here. The leaves are changing. What I hoped would be the start of a brand new year of art making has turned into .. well, I don't know what.  I've been struggling.  I hadn't thought about the amount of work and attention a puppy requires. I only considered the love. I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason so I know in time our dog will be our closest ally. The other night a friend suggested instead of fighting the energy ( of a puppy, a city, a job, whatever) to see it as support and let it carry you along. Instead of clutching to the sides of a flowing river, fighting it, let go and be open to the places it may carry you. She also said that even if I'm not actively sitting and making a piece of art work, my life is that of an artist so all I do, will contribute in some way. These have been very comforting words and I'm trying to embrace it all. In the meantime , I do have ideas percolating but haven't worked out the  application of them. It's feels good to have ideas again. It was pretty scary there for awhile










5 comments:

  1. That's one cute pup! And yeah, I agree with your friend's advice...we as artists spend lots of time beating ourselves up, when sometimes we need to let go and let life reveal it's magic. As a parent I have learned that I must slow down sometimes, and that it's OK. Don't squander a minute feeling bad, because we might miss something awesome! I imagine that someday I'll have lots of time on my hands to make work, and I'll miss the responsibilities that today feel like they are bogging me down. Hope to see you around town with that cute doggy :) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! Just today I was thinking if I don't get to make this piece this year, maybe next year....It's good to know that it's not something unfamiliar to the rest of the world, or at least artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photographs right here?

    ART.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the doggie shots -- the essence of puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your kind words!

    ReplyDelete